Friday, June 4, 2010

Another Golden Girl gone...

Rue McLanahan in her role in The Golden Girls, 1987.

This morning I learn't the news of the death of Rue Mclanahan, (76) otherwise known as Blanche in her role in The Golden Girls. Since I was a child I've been a fan of both the Rue, and the show - which was produced from 1985 to 1992, yet still shown in over 100 countries on TV today.

When I learnt of her passing, it hit a sensitive spot for me, for the loss of a truly amazing, talented and beautiful woman. Though also for more selfish reasons, perhaps. Rue's passing marks the end of an era, and the reminder that time will age and inevitably take away everyone thats important to us, and finally ourselves. Of course, we'd all like things to stay constant, for Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia to be living in Miami and eating cheesecake for eternity, in theory. The reality is, time is a cruel thing.

Some may think, why is it such a big deal to me, someone I don't even know passing. Well, growing up with the Golden Girls, to me, gave me a form of mother-figure which I then lacked, a way of escaping the troubles of growing up, they caught me to love, to cherish friendships and most importantly - they taught me how to laugh.

So, to Blanche, to Dorothy, Rose and Sophia - Rue, Bea, Betty and Estelle.

Thankyou for being a friend. To me.




Right: Bea Atrhur(left), Rue Mclenahan(centre) and Betty White (Right), more recently in 2008.

Below: Rue Mclanahan, pictured recently. Gracefully aged, and still beautiful.





NB: Betty White (Rose), now 88, the last of the "Golden Girls" still with us. Rue Mclenahan (Blanche) passed yesterday, Bea Atrhur and Estelle Getty died in 2009 and 2008 respectivley. I would encourage you to learn more about the lives of each of these great people.
Youtube is a good source.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is kind of sad that Betty is the last of them left. That's why it warms my heart to think she's in a career renaissance right now. She certainly deserves it! Let's hope we have her still for some time!

    ReplyDelete